Latmos Travel is committed to increasingly aligning its operations with the principles and definition of eco-tourism as set out by The International Ecotourism Society (TIES). We seek to do this by playing our part in the development of community managed tourism that will enable people from all over the world to gain a better understanding of Turkey, its culture and history.
Ecotourism is currently defined as "responsible travel to natural areas that conserves the environment, sustains the well-being of the local people, and involves interpretation and education" (TIES, 2015).
Principles of Ecotourism
- Minimize physical, social, behavioral, and psychological impacts.
- Build environmental and cultural awareness and respect.
- Provide positive experiences for both visitors and hosts.
- Provide direct financial benefits for conservation.
- Generate financial benefits for both local people and private industry.
- Deliver memorable interpretative experiences to visitors that help raise sensitivity to host countries' political, environmental, and social climates.
- Design, construct and operate low-impact facilities.
- Recognize the rights and spiritual beliefs of the Indigenous People in your community and work in partnership with them to create empowerment” (TIES, 2015)
In this sense, Latmos Travel:
- Offers authentic cultural experiences in the natural world and local villages
- Works to build partnerships with the local community and long-term relationships with (returning) guests.
- Aims to educate both its guides and its guests about the environment with the aim of understanding and conservation.
- Hires local guides to facilitate your tours. We also emphasize the importance of supplementary education for our special interest tours, like anthropology, ornithology, photography or history.
- Hopes that its tours forge strong emotional connections between travelers and the people and places they visit to help preserve a community’s traditions, cultural heritage and fragile environments.
Giving back to our community
As a way to give back to our community, every guest can choose to donate to World Wildlife Fund Turkey when they pay their bill. We support the following project that directly benefits the community that we live in: